Skip Navigation

Maintaining Matriculation, Graduate

Students must maintain continuous matriculation every academic year until graduation. Typically, this is achieved by enrolling in courses in the fall and spring semesters. Students who do not register for courses must register for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747) in order to maintain their active status in the University. Registering for "Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747) is not required over the summer semester.

While registered for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747), students are allowed to work with their academic advisers and to register for the following semester without applying for readmission. Additionally, students who register for  “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747) are allowed access to, NYU Home, Bobst Library and entry to most buildings in the semester of registration.


Maintain Matriculation Policy

  • Students may register for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747) for a maximum of two semesters.
  • Students who register for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747) are not considered full-time students and should be aware that this registration status can affect their financial aid, health insurance, and student housing. See Important Considerations below for more information.
  • While registered for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747), students may not enroll at another college or university, except when the student has received special approval from the Gallatin Office of Global Programs for concurrent registration.
  • "Maintain Matriculation" (MAINT-GG 4747) carries a fee.  For the 2016-17 academic year, the charges are $470 for Fall 2016 and $470 for Spring 2017. More information about fees is available on the Web site of the Office of the Bursar.
  • Students may not register for "Maintain Matriculation" (MAINT-GG 4747) in the following instances:
    • after completing the 40 units of course work required for the degree - Students who have completed the 40 units of course work for the degree, but who have not defended the thesis must register for “Thesis Advisement” (CORE-GG 2340).
    • in the first semester of enrollment at Gallatin
    • in the semester immediately following a leave of absence
    • in the semester in which a student has been readmitted to Gallatin
    • a semester in which a student is pursuing a non-NYU study (Non-NYU study requires a separate registration that is coordinated through the Gallatin Office of Global Programs.)
    • a semester in which a student is instructed by Gallatin to take a leave of absence (Students unable to register due to medical or other serious personal circumstances  should apply for an approved Leave of Absence. For further information about taking an official Leave of Absence, please contact the Gallatin Office of Student Affairs.)


Important Considerations

Full-Time/Half-Time Status

Students registered for "Maintain Matriculation" (MAINT-GG 4747) are not considered  full-time, half-time, or part-time students, and are therefore not eligible for Full-Time/Half-Time Equivalency.

International Students

International students (students with F1 and J1 visas) are required to be full-time students every semester; this means they must complete at least 12 credits per semester.  An international student, who needs to take a semester off, must first contact the NYU Office of Global Services at (212) 998-4720, then contact Gallatin’s Office of Advising at (212) 998-7320.  International students may not register to maintain matriculation without the permission of both offices.

Financial Aid

During the semester in which a student registers for "Maintain Matriculation"  (MAINT-GG 4747): 1) the student is not eligible to receive financial aid; and 2) student loan repayments may become due. Students should contact the Office of Financial Aid, to learn more about financial aid ramifications.  

University Housing

Students are not eligible to live in University housing during the semester in which they are registered for "Maintain Matriculation" (MAINT-GG 4747).  For more information, contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services.

Health Insurance

Students enrolled in an NYU student health insurance plan and who want to continue coverage while registered for "Maintain Matriculation" (MAINT-GG 4747) should contact the Student Health Center.
Students who are a dependent enrolled in a parent or guardian’s health insurance plan may become ineligible for this insurance while registered for "Maintain Matriculation" (MAINT-GG 4747) because they are not considered full-time students.  Students should contact the insurer directly to determine eligibility requirements.  

If you have any questions regarding any of these policies, please contact the Gallatin Office of Students Services at 1 Washington Place, 8th floor, (212) 998-7378.