What does it mean to Maintain Matriculation?
Students must maintain continuous matriculation every academic year until graduation. Typically, this is achieved by enrolling in courses in the fall and spring semesters. Students who do not register for courses must register for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-UG 4747) in order to maintain their active status in the University. * Registering to Maintain Matriculation is not required over the summer semester.
While registered for “Maintain Matriculation”, students are allowed to work with their academic advisers and to register for the following semester without applying for readmission. Additionally, students who Maintain Matriculation are allowed access to, NYU Home, Bobst Library and entry to most buildings.
Maintain Matriculation Policy
- Students may register to maintain matriculation for a maximum of four semesters during their academic career, but for no more than two consecutive semesters.
- Students who register to maintain matriculation are not considered full-time students and should be aware that this registration status can affect their financial aid, health insurance, and student housing.
- While registered to maintain matriculation, students may not enroll at another college or university, except when the student has received special approval from the Gallatin Office of Global Programs for concurrent registration.
- Maintain matriculation carries a fee of $75 per semester, plus a non-refundable registration and services fee. For the exact cost of the registration and services fee, check the Office of the Bursar’s website.
When should you register to Maintain Matriculation?
- You must register for “Maintain Matriculation” every fall and spring semester that you are otherwise enrolled in courses, including the fall or spring semester in which the Colloquium is successfully completed.
- If you complete the Colloquium by the September or January graduation deadline, you do not need to register for “Maintain Matriculation” the following semester. Please see the Colloquium calendar for details.
- When you have completed all of your coursework and you still need to complete the Colloquium.
- When you have an incomplete grade in a course from a previous semester and you are not registering for courses in the current semester. You should register for “Maintain Matriculation” every fall and spring semester until the course is completed.
When you should not register to Maintain Matriculation
- Your first semester at Gallatin.
- The semester immediately following a Leave of Absence, unless the only requirement remaining is the Senior Colloquium.
- The first semester after you have been readmitted to Gallatin, unless the only requirement remaining is the Senior Colloquium.
- If you plan to pursue non-NYU study or concurrent registration, you should contact the Gallatin Office of Global Programs; Non-NYU study abroad and concurrent registration each require a separate registration procedure.
- If you are unable to register due to medical or other serious personal circumstances you should apply for an approved Leave of Absence. For further information about taking an official Leave of Absence, please contact the Gallatin Office of Student Affairs.