Skip to Gallatin Navigation Skip to Gallatin Main Content

Maintaining Matriculation, Undergraduate

What does it mean to Maintain Matriculation?

Students must maintain continuous matriculation every academic year until graduation. Typically, this is achieved by enrolling in courses in the fall and spring semesters. Students who do not need to register for more courses in a fall or spring semester to fulfill degree requirements, but who have not yet graduated because of an incomplete grade or because the Colloquium has not been completed, must maintain their student status in the University by registering for the 0-unit “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-UG 4747). Students who register for MAINT-UG 4747 “Maintain Matriculation” are allowed access to, NYU Home, Bobst Library and entry to most buildings.

Maintain Matriculation Policy

  • Students may register to maintain matriculation for a maximum of two semesters.
  • Students may not register to maintain matriculation if they have remaining coursework/units requiring course registration.
  • Students who register to maintain matriculation are not considered full-time students and should be aware that this registration status can affect their financial aid, health insurance, and student housing. See Important Considerations below for more information.
  • Maintain matriculation carries a fee. For the 2017-18 academic year, the charges are $489 for Fall 2017 and $489 for Spring 2018.  More information about fees is available on the Web site of the Office of the Bursar.

Important Considerations:

International Students

International students (students with F1 and J1 visas) are required to be full-time students every semester; this means they must complete at least 12 units per semester. An international student who needs to take a semester off, must first contact the NYU Office of Global Services, then contact Gallatin’s Office of Advising at (212) 998-7320. International students may not register to maintain matriculation without the permission of both offices.

Financial Aid

During the semester in which a student registers to maintain matriculation:

1) The student is not eligible to receive financial aid, and

2) Student loan repayments may become due.

Students who receive financial aid (loans, grants, and scholarships) should contact the Office of Financial Aid, to learn more about financial aid ramifications.

University Housing

Students are not eligible to live in University housing during the semester in which they are registered to maintain matriculation. For more information, contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services.

Health Insurance

Students enrolled in an NYU student health insurance plan who want to continue coverage while registered to maintain matriculation, should contact the Student Health Center.

A student who is a dependent enrolled in a parent or guardian’s health insurance plan may become ineligible for this insurance while registered to maintain matriculation because the student will not be a full-time student. Contact the insurer directly to determine eligibility requirements.

Questions about any of these policies should be directed to the Office of Advising at 1 Washington Place, 5th floor, (212) 998-7320.

For more information on how to apply to maintain matriculation, visit our Registration page.