NYU Gallatin Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Maintaining Matriculation

What does it mean to maintain matriculation?

Students must maintain continuous matriculation every academic year until graduation.  Typically, this is achieved by enrolling in courses in the fall and spring semesters.  Students who do not register for courses must register for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-GG 4747) in order to maintain their active status in the University.  * Registering to Maintain Matriculation is not required over the summer semester.

While registered for “Maintain Matriculation”, students are allowed to work with their academic advisers and to register for the following semester without applying for readmission.  Additionally, students who Maintain Matriculation are allowed access to, NYU Home, Bobst Library and entry to most buildings. 

Maintain Matriculation Policy 

  • Students may register to maintain matriculation for a maximum of two semesters.
  • Students who register to maintain matriculation are not considered full-time students and should be aware that this registration status can affect their financial aid, health insurance, and student housing.  
  • While registered to maintain matriculation, students may not enroll at another college or university, except when the student has received special approval from the Gallatin Office of Global Programs for concurrent registration.
  • Maintain matriculation carries a fee of $75 per semester, plus a non-refundable registration and services fee.  For the exact cost of the registration and services fee, check the Office of the Bursar’s website.

When should you register to Maintain Matriculation?

You may register to maintain matriculation if you do not register for courses or non-classroom study in a particular fall or spring semester unless:

  • You have completed at least 37 credits; instead of “Maintain Matriculation” you must register for “Thesis and Defense” (CORE-GG 2335).
  • You have registered for “Thesis and Defense” in a previous semester, instead of “Maintain Matriculation” you must register for “Thesis Advisement”(CORE-GG 2340).
  • It is your first semester at Gallatin, 
  • It is the first term after a Leave of Absence or readmission 
  • If you plan to pursue non-NYU study or concurrent registration, you should contact the Gallatin Office of Global Programs; Non-NYU study abroad and concurrent registration each require a separate registration procedure.
  • You are unable to register due to medical or other serious personal circumstances you should apply for an approved Leave of Absence.  For further information about taking an official Leave of Absence, please contact the Gallatin Office of Student Affairs.

Maintain Matriculation Registration Procedure

1.    Obtain your academic adviser’s approval on a Plan of Study form and list “Maintain Matriculation” in the Planned Courses section.

2.    Bring your adviser approved Plan of Study to the Gallatin Office of Student Services (1 Washington Pl, 8th Fl) to obtain the required registration call number and access code.

3.    Use the class number and permission number provided  by Student Services to register for  the zero-credit course “Maintain Matriculation,” MAINT-GG 4747, on Albert.  If Albert has been deactivated for the semester you must complete the registration process at the Office of the Registrar (25 West 4th Street.)
       If you are registered for courses, first add “Maintain Matriculation,” MAINT-GG 4747 and then drop all other courses.  If you are dropping “for credit” courses and adding “Maintain Matriculation,” you must complete this registration activity prior to the University's refund deadline  to avoid financial penalties. 

What you should know

International Students

International students (students with F1 and J1 visas) are required to be full-time students every semester; this means they must complete at least 12 credits per semester.  An international student, who needs to take a semester off, must first contact the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) at (212) 998-4720, then contact Gallatin’s Office of Advising at (212) 998-7320.  International students may not register to maintain matriculation without the permission of both offices.

Financial Aid

During the semester in which you register to maintain matriculation you are; 1) not eligible to receive financial aid and 2) your student loan repayments may become due. If you receive financial aid (loans, grants, and scholarships), you should contact the Office of Financial Aid, to learn more about financial aid ramifications.  

Full-Time/Half Time Equivalency

If you are registered to maintain matriculation you are not eligible for Full-Time/Half-Time Equivalency.

University Housing

You are not eligible to live in University housing during the semester in which you are registered to maintain matriculation.  For more information, contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services.

Health Insurance

If you are enrolled in an NYU student health insurance plan and you want to continue coverage while registered to maintain matriculation, you should contact the Student Health Center.
If you are a dependent enrolled in a parent or guardian’s health insurance plan you may become ineligible for this insurance while registered to maintain matriculation because you will not be a full-time student.  Contact the insurer directly to determine eligibility requirements.  

If you have any questions regarding any of these policies, please contact the Office of Advising at 1 Washington Place, 5th floor, (212) 998-7320 and ask to speak to an adviser.

NYU Gallatin Footer

New York University
Gallatin School of Individualized Study
1 Washington Place
New York, NY 10003
(212) 998-7370