Skip Navigation

Maintaining Matriculation, Undergraduate

What does it mean to Maintain Matriculation?

Students must maintain continuous matriculation every academic year until graduation. Typically, this is achieved by enrolling in courses in the fall and spring semesters. Students who do not register for courses, and who have not yet graduated, must register for “Maintain Matriculation” (MAINT-UG 4747) in order to maintain their active status in the University.  Registering to Maintain Matriculation is not required over the summer semester.

While registered for “Maintain Matriculation”, students are allowed to work with their academic advisers and to register for the following semester without applying for readmission. Additionally, students who Maintain Matriculation are allowed access to, NYU Home, Bobst Library and entry to most buildings.

Maintain Matriculation Policy

  • Students may register to maintain matriculation for a maximum of four semesters during their academic career, but for no more than two consecutive semesters.
  • Students who register to maintain matriculation are not considered full-time students and should be aware that this registration status can affect their financial aid, health insurance, and student housing. See Important Considerations below for more information.
  • While registered to maintain matriculation, students may not enroll at another college or university, except when the student has received special approval from the Gallatin Office of Global Programs for concurrent registration.
  • Maintain matriculation carries a fee. For the 2016-17 academic year, the charges are $470 for Fall 2016 and $470 for Spring 2017.  More information about fees is available on the Web site of the Office of the Bursar.
  • Students may not register for "Maintain Matriculation" (MAINT-UG 4747) in their first semester of enrollment as a new or readmitted student at Gallatin or in their first semester of or return from a leave of absence.

Maintain Matriculation Registration Procedure

  • If you are registered for courses, first add “Maintain Matriculation,” MAINT-UG 4747" and then drop all other courses.
  • If you are dropping “for credit” courses and adding “Maintain Matriculation,” you must complete this registration activity prior to the University's refund deadline to avoid financial penalties.
  • Obtain your academic adviser’s approval on a Plan of Study form and list “Maintain Matriculation” in the Planned Courses section.
  • Bring your adviser approved Plan of Study to the Gallatin Office of Student Services (1 Washington Pl, 8th Fl) to obtain the required registration call number and access code.
  • Use the class number and permission number provided by Student Services to register for the zero credit course “Maintain Matriculation,” MAINT-UG 4747, on Albert.
  • If Albert has been deactivated for the semester you must complete the registration process at the Office of the Registrar (25 West 4th Street.)

When should you register to Maintain Matriculation?

  • You must register for “Maintain Matriculation” every fall and spring semester that you are otherwise enrolled in courses, including the fall or spring semester in which the Colloquium is successfully completed.
  • If you complete the Colloquium by the September or January graduation deadline, you do not need to register for “Maintain Matriculation” the following semester. Please see the Colloquium calendar for details.
  • When you have completed all of your coursework and you still need to complete the Colloquium.
  • When you have an incomplete grade in a course from a previous semester and you are not registering for courses in the current semester. You should register for “Maintain Matriculation” every fall and spring semester until the course is completed.

When you should not register to Maintain Matriculation:

  • your first semester at Gallatin
  • the semester immediately following a Leave of Absence, unless the only requirement remaining is the Senior Colloquium
  • the first semester after you have been readmitted to Gallatin, unless the only requirement remaining is the Senior Colloquium
  • a semester in which you are pursuing a non-NYU study  (Non-NYU study requires a separate registration that is coordinated through the Gallatin Office of Global Programs)
  • a semester in which you are directed by Gallatin to take a leave of absence (If you are unable to register due to medical or other serious personal circumstances you should apply for an approved Leave of Absence. For further information about taking an official Leave of Absence, please contact the Gallatin Office of Student Affairs.)




Important Considerations:

International Students

International students (students with F1 and J1 visas) are required to be full-time students every semester; this means they must complete at least 12 units per semester. An international student who needs to take a semester off, must first contact the NYU Office of Global Services, then contact Gallatin’s Office of Advising at (212) 998-7320. International students may not register to maintain matriculation without the permission of both offices.

Financial Aid

During the semester in which a student registers to maintain matriculation:

1) The student is not eligible to receive financial aid, and

2) Student loan repayments may become due.

Students who receive financial aid (loans, grants, and scholarships) should contact the Office of Financial Aid, to learn more about financial aid ramifications.

University Housing

Students are not eligible to live in University housing during the semester in which they are registered to maintain matriculation. For more information, contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing Services.

Health Insurance

Students enrolled in an NYU student health insurance plan who want to continue coverage while registered to maintain matriculation, should contact the Student Health Center.

A student who is a dependent enrolled in a parent or guardian’s health insurance plan may become ineligible for this insurance while registered to maintain matriculation because the student will not be a full-time student. Contact the insurer directly to determine eligibility requirements.

Questions about any of these policies should be directed to the Office of Advising at 1 Washington Place, 5th floor, (212) 998-7320.