Skip to Gallatin Navigation Skip to Gallatin Main Content

Study in Other Schools

Courses in Other NYU Schools

Gallatin students may take courses in most of the schools, departments and programs of NYU: the College of Arts and Science; the College of Global Public Health; the Silver School of Social Work; Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development; the Stern School of Business; the Tandon School of Engineering; the Tisch School of the Arts; the Graduate School of Arts and Science; the School of Professional Studies; the Wagner Graduate School of Public Service; NYU Abu Dhabi; and NYU Shanghai. Each semester there are hundreds of courses to choose from. Courses in and outside Gallatin are taught by some of the country’s leading research scholars and teachers. While Gallatin students must comply with each school’s policies about prerequisites and requirements, including restrictions in particular programs, the opportunity to take courses throughout the University enables them to develop a unique, interdisciplinary program of study. Students may review the academic departments and programs where Gallatin students take courses.


Gallatin students may complement their undergraduate degree in individualized study with an academic minor. The typical minor consists of a minimum of 16 to 20 units, with the actual number of units and grades required determined by the faculty in the program in which the minor is offered. Students may elect to take certain minors offered by any of the NYU schools/institutes. Gallatin currently offers one minor, Psychoanalysis and the Humanities. Students can view a full list of other possible minors on the Cross-School Minors website. Please note that not all minors are open to Gallatin students.

Students should be aware that the addition of a minor in no way changes any of their obligations as a Gallatin student.They are still expected to write an Intellectual Autobiography and Plan for Concentration, design an individualized concentration, complete a rationale and undertake a colloquium in their senior year. However, a minor might relate to and enrich a student’s program in a number of ways: it may relate directly to the student’s concentration, or it may reflect interest in an area of study entirely different and separate from the concentration.

Gallatin students are only eligible to declare one minor. Students may declare a minor at any time before the completion of 110 units; declarations made after the completion of the 110th unit cannot be ensured. A declaration of a minor becomes part of a student’s record, and the expectation is that the student will complete the minor to be eligible to graduate. Once a student has completed all requirements for a minor, the minor will appear on the transcript.

If a student wishes to pursue a minor, he or she should first meet with his or her primary adviser to discuss the impact of the courses required to complete the minor in relation to
the student’s Gallatin B.A. requirements. Moreover, students are required to receive adviser approval in order to declare a minor.

For more information, please visit the Minors page on the Gallatin Web site.


Gallatin-Environmental Studies Partnership

Gallatin students interested in environmental studies have the option of participating in the Gallatin-Environmental Studies Partnership, an agreement between the Gallatin School and the Environmental Studies (ES) Program in NYU’s College of Arts and Science resulting in a special Gallatin minor in Environmental Studies.

While completing their individualized concentration at Gallatin in the usual manner, students may select a series of environmental studies courses and also become a part of the Environmental Studies Program community. Students who participate in the partnership become eligible to take the capstone seminar offered by the program. When they graduate they will receive a minor in Environmental Studies and a note on their transcript indicating that they have completed the Gallatin-Environmental Studies Partnership. Students in academic good standing may formally sign up to join in this partnership, with their adviser’s approval, beginning in the second semester of their first year, and no later than the completion of their 80th credit.

more >


Dual-Degree Programs

Gallatin offers students the possibility of completing the bachelors degree and specific masters degrees (as described below) in five years by taking graduate-level courses while enrolled in the undergraduate program. These dual-degree programs are designed for academically strong students with an equally strong commitment to public service and leadership.

Gallatin-Wagner Dual-Degree Program

Gallatin and NYU’s Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service enable students to earn both a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Individualized Study and a Master of Public Administration (MPA) in Public and Nonprofit Management or in Health Policy and Management. Students enter the program while enrolled as undergraduates in Gallatin and may complete up to seven of the fifteen courses required for the Wagner MPA while they are still undergraduates.



Gallatin-College of Global Public Health Dual-Degree Program 

Gallatin School of Individualized Study and the College of Global Public Health (CGPH) offer a dual-degree program that enables students to earn both a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Individualized Study and a Master of Public Health (MPH). The dual degree option is available to students going into the following MPH concentrations: Social and Behavioral Sciences, Global Health, Epidemiology, Community and International Health, or Public Health Nutrition. Students enter the program while enrolled as undergraduates in Gallatin and may begin taking MPH core courses. Up to 15 credits of MPH core courses completed during the undergraduate program may also be applied to the MPH program.