The 108-seat Jerry H. Labowitz Theatre for the Performing Arts is used for a wide variety of events, including theatrical productions, dance performances, panels, lectures, readings, and film presentations. The theater space can also be used in conjunction with the adjoining gallery space to create a 285-seat multipurpose auditorium that accommodates a variety of larger-scale gatherings and signature School events, such as student orientations and the Albert Gallatin Lectures. The theater has a unique, custom-made retractable seating system that is on the cutting edge of theater design technologies. The theater and the gallery space are separated by a retractable wall that can move to accommodate events of varying audience size.
Blackbox Theater - Default option for most events
There are 108 seats when the retractable seating unit is fully deployed.
The lit stage area is 10 feet deep (width) x 18 feet wide (length).
Full Space (Theater + Gallery)
With the partition and the seating unit retracted, the space can set up in a variety of ways. In this configuration, we can accommodate up to 285 people. There are a variety of layouts and creative ways to set the space up: row seating, luncheons, receptions, etc. All of these options will require rented furniture at the event organizers expense.
The full-space configuration is not always available due to scheduling of shows in the Gallery.
Two Sony projectors and retractable screens
Eighty-four circuit lighting grid with a full stock of lighting instruments and accessories
Lighting and sound consoles in state of the art control booth
Variety of wireless and wired microphones
Sprung dance floor
1. Building of sets or props is not allowed on Gallatin’s premises.
2. Painting of sets or props is not allowed on Gallatin’s premises.
3. No food or liquids are allowed in the seating area.
4. No food or liquids, other than bottled water, are allowed in the green room.
5. No cash may be exchanged on the premises. All sales, donations, fundraising, etc, must be done off-site or, upon pre-approval, with a credit card machine.
6. Nothing can be nailed to the floor.
7. Visitors attending events in the theater should be aware that this area may be used to photograph and record. By attending events in the theater space, visitors acknowledge that they may be photographed and recorded as part of an event, and that those recordings may be used for any purpose in any media now known or hereafter devised, in perpetuity, without compensation or credit to visitors who have been photographed or recorded.
8. No nudity without express written permission from the Associate Dean of Finance and Administration. If nudity is authorized, no minors will be allowed to be in attendance and, to advise the audience, signage indicating that there will be nudity will be required for all performances.