Skip to Gallatin Navigation Skip to Gallatin Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I see what requirements I have left to complete?

All of your progress towards your degree is monitored in Albert, and it is accessible to you in the form of the Degree Progress Report.

What is the IAPC?

All students are required to write a 2-3 page essay called the Intellectual Autobiography and Plan for Concentration (IAPC) in which they reflect on their education. In constructing the IAPC essay, students describe their educational experiences, the central idea(s) of the concentration and the coursework relevant to their concentration. This essay should be seen as a tool or guide - a way for students to reflect on how they learn as individuals, and to consider what they find academically interesting and challenging.

Once your adviser has approved it, you can submit your IAPC using the online IAPC submission form.

When can I post my AP/IB/Maturity/Pre-College credits, and how much credit can I get?

Gallatin allows you to post qualifying Advanced Placement scores for course credit at the end of sophomore year. Remember to talk with your primary adviser first!

Gallatin accepts AP, IB and Maturity credits and for the most part follows the CAS guidelines, both in terms of what tests we accept, the amount of credit hours they are worth, and, in the case of APs, which courses they substitute for. You will notice on the CAS guide that many of the AP tests have a corresponding CAS course listed in the "course equivalent" column - this mean that if you have taken PSYCH-UA 1 you cannot receive credit for the AP psych exam. Gallatin does not allow any pre-college credits to substitute for core coursework- these credits simply count towards your overall total needed to graduate. 

My AP scores should allow me to waive the pre-req for this class, but Albert won't let me enroll, why?

Gallatin students cannot post AP credits to their transcripts as courses until the end of sophomore year, and Albert is programmed to look for courses, not AP scores, when considering whether you have taken the pre-requisites. Fear not! As long as the College Board sent your AP scores to us and we have them on file, the department can bypass Albert and place you into that upper level Psych/Econ/CAMS/etc course. Contact the enrollment director for the department directly- you can usually find who this is on the website - or you can just go to the department and ask to speak to the person in charge of undergraduate enrollment.

I took college courses in high school. Can I get credit for those?

It depends, but if they don't appear on your high school transcript and you did well, then it is likely. Please review Gallatin's policy for college courses taken in high school. 

I want to take courses at another school and use them towards my Gallatin degree. How can I do this?

All external study must be approved in advance. If you want to study at a non-NYU site abroad, review Gallatin's policy for International External Study. If you want to study within the US, then you need to look over our policy for Domestic External Study.

Can I take courses in the School of Professional Studies?

Gallatin allows for a few select SPS courses.

Albert won't let me enroll in Stern classes even though they are open! What gives?

Stern has procedures for enrolling in Stern courses as a non-major. Make sure the course you are trying to take is on their open access list

Does [insert course name] count for Gallatin requirements?

The best source of information about which non-Gallatin courses count for requirements is our online list for classes. Make sure you read the notes at the top carefully. If the course you are asking about is not on this list, and it is a CAS course and it is not new or a special topics course, chances are that it has been evaluated and the curriculum committee determined that it does not count for Gallatin's requirements.

However, if it is in any school other than CAS or Gallatin, is a new course, is a course very similar to a course listed but the number and/or name has changed, or is a special topics course, and you do not see it on this list, chances are that it has not yet been evaluated by our curriculum committee. Submit an online request to review the course along with a copy of the course syllabus. The curriculum committee will evaluate the course and render a decision directly to you. You should note that the curriculum committee may take several weeks to review the request and plan accordingly. 

How am I doing with my requirements and how do my transfer credits count towards Gallatin requirements?

By looking at your Degree Progress Report on Albert. Please schedule a meeting with your class adviser if you do not understand the report or if you see any errors.

I am transfering out of NYU and need somone to fill out the Transfer College Report. Is that you?

Yes - class advisers fill out these reports. Please be in contact with Katherine Taylor