Skip to Gallatin Navigation Skip to Gallatin Main Content


Preparing for your transfer

Transferring to Gallatin means taking on a completely different set of degree requirements, gaining a new faculty adviser and new student colleagues, and adopting Gallatin's unique educational philosophy. We recommend that you think carefully about your educational goals and how a liberal arts education at Gallatin can help you achieve them. Read about the Gallatin degree requirements and curriculum, and consider realistically how you might develop your individualized concentration. This FAQ will guide you as you prepare for your transfer.

Some students must submit a Concentration Planning Worksheet prior to their intended start date in Gallatin. Successful transfer or transition to Gallatin requires approval of the Concentration Planning Worksheet by Gallatin faculty. Refer to Additional Program Requirements on the Admissions Office page to determine whether the Concentration Planning Worksheet is necessary for you.


Transfer FAQ

How can I find out more about Gallatin? Can you tell me how Gallatin works?

The best way to find out more about Gallatin is to attend an information session.

If you have attended an info session and have additional questions, you may meet with an adviser during the academic year on Mondays (2:30-4:30) and Tuesdays (10:30-12:00). Please reach out to to schedule an appointment during these hours. Because of the volume of students interested in Gallatin, we ask that you first attend an info session before meeting with an adviser.

Because advisers must prioritize meeting with current Gallatin students, it is not possible for all prospective transfer students to meet with a Gallatin adviser before applying.  We encourage you to discuss your transfer plans with an adviser in your current school.

When am I eligible to transfer?

Typically applicants must be in at least the second semester of consecutive full-time study at their current college or university to be eligible for  transfer. Because Gallatin allows students to transfer a maximum of 64 units (including AP, IB, and other advanced standing credit), both internal and external transfer students should plan to start at Gallatin no later than the first semester of their junior year.

The Gallatin faculty has determined that 64 units in residence at Gallatin (taken over two years under the guidance and mentoring of a Gallatin adviser) is the minimum amount of coursework and time required for students to establish an individualized program of study and develop a proper concentration. This does not mean that you must complete 64 more credits in only Gallatin courses, but that you must complete a minimum of 64 credits while enrolled as a Gallatin student and under the supervision of your Gallatin adviser.

How do I apply to transfer? Can you tell me what is required for the transfer application?


The application process is handled by NYU's main Office of Admissions. Feel free to contact them directly with questions about applying.

Application requirements differ slightly based on an applicant’s status. Rising sophomores in other NYU programs and colleges should submit the internal transfer application. Rising NYU juniors (including LS Core Program students) must submit the Concentration Planning Worksheet. Students currently attending other universities (including visiting/non-degree students at NYU) should complete the Common Application. Please read the Additional Program Requirements carefully to understand what you must submit and when your deadlines are.


When is the transfer application due? When will I receive a decision?

For information on application deadlines, refer to the Guide to Applying on the Admissions Office page. Decisions are sent by the Office of Admissions; Gallatin advisers are unable to tell you when you will receive notification.  

Does Gallatin have requirements?

Yes. You can learn more by reviewing Gallatin's degree requirements page.

Can you tell me if my previous coursework will fulfill Gallatin degree

If you are applying to transfer to Gallatin from another school within NYU, your previous coursework may satisfy Gallatin's degree requirements.

Students applying from an external institution may review NYU’s transfer credit policy on the Admissions page. If admitted, it is your responsibility to send the final transcript from your previous university to the Office of Admissions. For both internal and external transfer students, Gallatin advisers will review your transfer credits during your first semester and make sure they are appropriately satisfying Gallatin's degree requirements.

We are not able to provide detailed evaluations of transfer credits for all prospective students, but can answer general questions during walk-in advising meetings.

Can I study away if I transfer to Gallatin?

Yes. Although you may study away later, your first full semester as a Gallatin student must be in New York. This rule pertains to the academic year: summer classes do not count as a full term in residency.

When would I declare my major?

Gallatin students do not formally declare majors, but they do create individualized concentrations over several semesters. A similar moment in that process is writing the IAPC, or Intellectual Autobiography and Plan for Concentration.

The IAPC is due at the end of a student’s sophomore year, that is, the semester in which 64 units are completed. Students who transfer with 64 or more earned units must complete this requirement during their first semester at Gallatin (summer/fall admits – November 1; spring admits – April 1).

Can transfer students to Gallatin do internships?

Yes. You can find information on the Gallatin internships page. Newly admitted transfer students must wait until the start of each semester to register their internships for credit, after discussing the internship with their faculty advisers.

Can you tell me what courses I should take before I transfer?  Will you review or advise me on my application?

Gallatin is a school of individualized study; the "prereqs" you take before applying will therefore vary depending on your course of study. We do not recommend any particular set of courses before transferring, but a strong foundation in the liberal arts and expository writing is beneficial.

As academic advisers, we cannot offer application tips or read drafts of application essays. Current NYU students who are writing a Concentration Planning Worksheet are encouraged to attend an advising workshop.

Can I study ________ at Gallatin? Can Gallatin students take courses anywhere?

The Gallatin curriculum is very flexible, but does have some requirements and expectations. In addition to attending an info session, you can take some steps to get a sense of whether your plans are feasible at Gallatin. Look over the degree requirements and estimate which you may have already fulfilled. With those requirements in mind, begin drafting what your next several semesters would look like. Research the courses you might take at Gallatin and NYU's other schools. Are the kinds of courses you want offered at NYU? Can Gallatin’s courses and requirements be integrated into your individualized curriculum? Do you have enough semesters remaining to complete everything you want? What prerequisites do you need? Finally, do your your goals fit within Gallatin’s mission of interdisciplinary study in the liberal arts, or are they better suited to an established major elsewhere? You may find it helpful to read the expectations for a Gallatin concentration.

Gallatin students may take courses in many of NYU's schools, departments, and programs, with some limitations. In all cases, Gallatin students must comply with the policies of the school that's offering the course, including prerequisites, registration times, and restriction to majors only. 

Will my financial aid be affected by transferring to Gallatin?

Because each student has a unique financial situation, all questions regarding Financial Aid should be addressed to the Office of Financial Aid.

I've just been admitted to Gallatin. What next?

Congratulations! Be sure to follow all the instructions in the acceptance message you received from the Office of Admissions. A Gallatin adviser will contact you directly just as soon as possible. We know that you’re eager to get started, but bear in mind that your record must first be updated before you’re ready to meet with an adviser.

Gallatin-Bound LS Core Students

As an LS Core student, you may be thinking about Gallatin as early as your first semester at NYU Stay in regular contact with your LS adviser; discuss your academic goals with him or her, and whether Gallatin makes sense for you. The information below will help you to understand how LS courses can fulfill some of the Gallatin degree requirements.

Undergraduate Core Requirement

  • First-Year Interdisciplinary Seminar: waived for LS Core students.
  • First-Year Writing Seminar: Satisfied by LS Writing Sequence (WRI-UF 101 or WREX-UF 101).
  • First-Year Research Seminar: Satisfied by LS Writing Sequence (WRI-UF 102 or WRCI-UF 102).
  • Gallatin Interdisciplinary Seminars (16 units required): Gallatin Interdisciplinary Seminar (IDSEM-UG) courses taken prior to matriculation at Gallatin will count toward this requirement.
  • Additional Gallatin units (16 units required): Gallatin Advanced Writing Courses (WRTNG-UG), Arts Workshops (ARTS-UG), internships, and other Gallatin courses taken prior to matriculation in Gallatin will count toward this requirement.
  • Concentration Planning Worksheet: due for most students in the fall of sophomore year. Transition to Gallatin is contingent on approval by Gallatin faculty of the Concentration Planning Worksheet.
  • Required Gallatin advising sessions prior to registering for courses and matriculating at Gallatin.  
  • Intellectual Autobiography and Plan for Concentration (IAPC): due by the end of your first Gallatin semester.
  • Colloquium: 2 units in COLLQ-UG. All Gallatin students must complete this requirement during their senior year.

Liberal Arts, Historical & Cultural, and Critical Race Studies Requirements

AP and other advanced standing credits will not satisfy any Gallatin degree requirements. LS Core courses will not satisfy the Early Modern or Critical Race Studies requirements.

  • Humanities (8 units required): Satisfied by LS Core (CFI-UF 101 or ACA-UF 101, CFII-UF 102 or ACC-UF 102).
  • Social Science (8 units required): Satisfied by LS Core (SFI-UF 101 or GWA-UF 101, SFII-UF 102 or GWC-UF 102).
  • Mathematics or Science (4 units required): Satisfied by approved courses taken in LS and other NYU schools.
  • Global Cultures (4 units required): Satisfied by LS Core courses.
  • Pre-Modern (4 units required):Satisfied by LS Core courses.
  • Early Modern (4 units required): Satisfied by approved courses taken before or after matriculation at Gallatin.
  • Critical Race Studies (4 units required): Satisfied by approved courses taken before or after matriculation at Gallatin.

Other Requirements

  • Total Units Required to Graduate: 128 units.
  • Academic Good Standing: minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • Residency Requirement: The last 32 units must be completed at NYU (either at the Washington Square campus or at one of NYU’s study away sites).
  • Transfer Units: The Gallatin faculty has determined that 64 units in residence at Gallatin (taken over two years under the guidance and mentoring of a Gallatin adviser) is the minimum amount of coursework and time required for students to establish an individualized program of study and develop a proper concentration. Students may therefore transfer a maximum of 64 units upon their matriculation at Gallatin. Students who have completed more than 64 units (including AP, IB, and other advanced standing credit) prior to matriculating at Gallatin will see a reduction in their cumulative earned total  (EHRS on the transcript) to 64 after Gallatin has reviewed their transfer credits.

Your first semester at Gallatin

We are excited that you have decided that Gallatin is the right school for you. Here are some tips on how to get the most out of your first semester.

  • Primary Faculty Adviser

Just before the start of your first semester, you will be paired with a primary faculty adviser based on your responses to the Gallatin Advising Questionnaire. We recommend that students meet with their primary faculty advisers regularly, at least 3-4 times per semester. As with any relationship, it takes time to get to know your adviser. If you speak to your adviser only once or twice, then he or she may not be able to give you the guidance and mentoring that is needed to develop your individualized concentration.

  • Class Advisers

While your primary faculty adviser will be your main intellectual mentor, you will also work closely with class advisers - initially the transfer student adviser, and the first-year, sophomore, junior, or senior class adviser once you've settled into Gallatin. Class advisers provide both additional academic support as well as help with policies and procedures.

  • The Gallatin and larger NYU communities

We encourage transfer students to become active members of Gallatin and NYU. As a small liberal arts school within a large university, Gallatin offers distinct Student Life activities. It is easy to get involved and to meet other Gallatin students who share your interests.  NYU also has a Transfer and Transitioning Students Services Office.  Please visit their website to learn more about the University-wide resources that are now at your disposal.


Drop-in hours for prospective transfer students are Mondays, 2:30-4:30 and Fridays 10:00-12:00 via Zoom.

Have a question? Contact us at