Skip to Gallatin Navigation Skip to Gallatin Main Content

Fellowship Pre-Departure Recommendations

Gallatin's Office of Global Programs has prepared important recommendations below regarding travel, health, and safety for student recipients of Gallatin fellowships. Please carefully review this information well in advance of your fellowship period and contact Gallatin Global Programs and/or your fellowship's administrator if you have any questions or concerns.

See below for details or click to jump directly to a specific topic:

•  Important pre-travel notes
•  Travel visas, passport, and other immigration documentation
•  Immunizations and vaccinations
•  NYU Traveler/alert system
•  STEP Program for US traveler emergency notification
•  Health insurance
•  Health and medical advice
•  Health and safety resources while away
•  Cultural awareness resources
•  Banking matters
•  What to pack
•  Keeping in contact while away

Important Pre-Travel Notes

  • US-sanctioned countries: travel to certain countries requires prior authorization from the US government. Students considering a fellowship project in these countries should contact Gallatin Global Programs for assistance with obtaining approval. The approval process can be lengthy and approval is not guaranteed, so notifying Gallatin Global far in advance and having a backup destination in mind is advisable.
  • Travel safety: students are advised to consult the US Department of State’s travel alerts and warnings page for up-to-date information on country-specific travel safety. In addition, NYU Public Safety’s new Global Security team can meet one-on-one with students to provide travel tips tailored to their destination. To schedule a meeting, contact Will Huser, Director, Global Security Operations Center: 212.992.8601,
  • US travel bans: NYU’s Office of Global Services (OGS) has a special web page dedicated to updates on US Presidential Executive Orders affecting travel to/from the US. Anyone who has concerns about travel in regards to the recent travel bans may consult with OGS and with NYU’s Immigrant Defense Initiative and any impacted students are encouraged to complete OGS’s new International Travel Form.

Travel Visas, Passport, & Other Immigration Documentation

Contact NYU’s Office of Global Services (OGS) ASAP to verify if immigration documentation will be needed and to determine the number of blank pages needed for your passport. Dual citizens should ask for advice about which passport to use for both entry and exit (some countries require their citizens to enter on that country’s passport).

For immediate immigration questions, visit OGS during walk-in hours at the StudentLink Center or email Contact Gallatin Global Programs for additional assistance.

Important reminder for ALL international (F-1 or J-1) students: prior to departure, review OGS's Travel Instructions for US Reentry and obtain an updated OGS travel signature.

Immunizations and Vaccinations

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that travelers be up to date on routine vaccinations while traveling to any destination. The CDC also recommends that ideally 4-6 weeks before your travel, you get vaccinations for vaccine-preventable diseases you might be at risk for if traveling abroad. Your doctor or healthcare provider will determine what vaccinations you will need depending on factors such as your health and immunization history. Make sure to also ask your doctor about medications you might need, such as those for malaria prevention and travelers’ diarrhea.

NYU students may schedule a free Travel Medicine Consultation with the NYU travel medicine clinic, or you may contact your primary care doctor or a travel medicine doctor for a consultation. Call far in advance of your trip, as it may take time to get an appointment. Note that immunizations and travel medications offered through NYU’s clinic or elsewhere involve fees that may or may not be covered by your health insurance plan.

NYU Traveler Alerts

NYU Alert and NYU Traveler are systems that give NYU travelers up-to-the-minute information about potential health and safety threats while traveling and enables the University to establish contact in the event of an emergency. Registration takes just a few minutes! You will need your flight information to register.

  1. Update your contact information at
  2. Visit NYU Travler: Register a Trip, click on "Register," and follow the instructions for registering your travel.

STEP Program Enrollment (travel abroad only)

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service provided by the US Government to US citizens who are traveling to or living in a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your upcoming trip abroad so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. Non-US citizens should register with the relevant home country embassy or consulate abroad.

Health Insurance

You are required to maintain insurance with your home insurance policy for the duration of your trip. If traveling domestically, note that some insurance companies do not provide coverage in all US states; call your provider to verify coverage.

Additionally, if traveling abroad, NYU recommends that its students purchase travel health insurance in the event that they become ill or injured or require evacuation, which is not covered under normal insurance policies. NYU’s preferred provider is GeoBlue, which costs only a few dollars per week of travel. Highlights:

  • No out-of-pocket expenses when using in-network providers
  • Western-trained and credentialed health professionals
  • 24/7 availability of GeoBlue representatives, who will assist you with making appointments for medical and mental health providers
  • Emergency evacuation coordination for medical reasons and during political unrest

For more information and to enroll, visit (use Group Code FAF-10228 during enrollment). After enrolling, print your GeoBlue ID card and travel with it; you will be covered without the card, but it’s advised to take it with you.

Pre-Travel Health and Medicine Advice

You are encouraged to visit the Student Health Center to discuss any health concerns you might have (physical and mental health, allergies, medications, etc.) and to decide on a plan for managing them while away. If you might require a reasonable accommodation based on a qualified disability or have special concerns, note that you might need to register with NYU’s Moses Center. Also note that you may receive communication from Gallatin’s Office of Student Affairs about support systems available to you during your trip.

If you take medications regularly, make sure to have an adequate supply for the trip and pack in your carryon luggage. Plan to travel with your medications in their original bottles and if possible, obtain a letter from your doctor about them to present if asked at the border. Leave a copy of your prescription with a relative or friend at home. If traveling abroad, make sure to know the generic names for your medications, as the brand names might not be recognized abroad. Also check with the American embassy or consulate to verify that your medications will be allowed into the country.

Health and Safety Resources While Away

  • NYU Wellness Exchange: this private hotline is available to you 24/7 for professional assistance with daily challenges and other health-related concerns.
  • Sexual Misconduct: NYU’s Title IX Coordinator is available to speak to students involved in sexual misconduct or assault about support resources available to them. Students may also discuss incidents confidentially (with some exceptions) through the NYU Wellness Exchange.
  • NYU’s Department of Public Safety is also available to assist with emergency situations within the US or abroad; call 1.212.998.2222 (long-distance collect call from abroad).

Cultural Awareness Resources

Many resources exist online to help travelers learn more about other countries’ culture and to help travelers navigate attitudes and regulations towards, for example, LGBTI travelers, travelers with disabilities, travelers of color, and female travelers. See in particular the following:

  • Go World Wise: a global readiness tool that includes a cultural awareness component, available at no cost through NYU Home.
  • World Trade Resource: an information portal that provides country, city/state, and neighborhood-specific information to help with assimilating to a new location, available at no cost through NYU Home.
  • The US State Department’s resource pages for LGBTI travelers and for travelers with disabilities.

Banking Matters

Contact your bank(s) before you depart to put a “travel notification” on the accounts you plan to use while away. If you bank with a small bank, you should check with the bank to make sure your card is compatible. Also note that many ATMs abroad do not accept ATM pin numbers that are longer than four digits.

What to Pack

See the CDC’s “Pack Smart” page for suggestions, including about OTC medications. Take a photocopy of your passport with you and keep it packed separately from your actual passport. Leave photocopies of your passport and credit cards with someone you trust back home.

Keeping in Contact While Away

Decide on a communication plan with people with whom you want to keep in contact while away. Let them know if and when you will contact them. Especially discuss your travel plans with your emergency contact (if your fellowship administrator has asked you to provide one) or with someone who might need to make important decisions regarding your health and safety in the event you are unable to do so.

If someone from home needs to contact you in an EMERGENCY SITUATION ONLY and is unable to reach you, that person may call NYU’s Department of Public Safety anytime at 1.212.998.2222. Otherwise, he or she may call or e-mail your fellowship's administrator at Gallatin during business hours, but please note that because of the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA), there are limits to the information that can be disclosed about you.