Skip to Gallatin Navigation Skip to Gallatin Main Content

What is a minor?

The typical minor consists of a minimum of 16-20 credits (4 or 5 courses). It may be part of your concentration. It may not. It really is up to you. Before you declare, be sure to chat with your adviser about where it fits into your program here at Gallatin.

You should be reminded that the addition of a minor in no way changes any of your obligations as a Gallatin student. You still need to formulate your concentration, write an IAPC, write a rationale, and complete your colloquium. Also, be aware that a minor becomes part of your graduation requirements (unless you opt to drop, which we discuss below).  

Should I declare a minor?

It is really up to you, declaring a minor is not a Gallatin requirement. If you choose to declare a minor you should schedule an appointment with your faculty adviser to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of particular minors that might complement or extend your Gallatin concentration.


Gallatin Policies on Minors

  • Gallatin students are eligible to declare only one (1) minor.
  • Declaring of a minor means adding another component to a student's degree requirements. Students must complete the minor in order to graduate.
  • Gallatin students who submit a minor declaration/application after they have earned 110 credits must be able to satisfy the minor requirements in time for graduation.
  • Gallatin students may elect to take certain minors offered by any of the NYU schools/institutes.
  • The complete list of Cross-School Minors is available online. Please note that some minors are not available to Gallatin students. Contact the administering department (or school) directly for questions about access to a particular minor.



Procedure for declaring a minor

  1. Meet with your academic adviser to discuss your minor.
  2. Complete the electronic Minor Application on Albert (on the Academics page).
  3. After you submit the application, you will receive an email from indicating that you need adviser approval. Forward the email to your adviser and ask that she/he reply to the message with her/his explicit approval.
  4. Once Student Services receives your academic adviser’s approval, Gallatin will send you a confirmation email and record the minor on your record; it will appear on your transcript and on your Degree Progress on Albert.

Course requirements for the minor

The department/school offering the minor determines the credit and course requirements. Gallatin has no standing in this process. Students must consult with the department/school offering the minor about course requirements and course substitution. (If you are approved to substitute a course, be sure to follow up with the department to ensure that they make the necessary changes to your record, i.e., degree requirements) In general you should use the Degree Progress on Albert to keep track of your minor and overall academic progress.

Procedure for dropping a minor

Once you declare a minor it becomes part of your degree requirements and you are required to complete your minor before you graduate. If you no longer wish to pursue your minor, you must officially request to have it removed from your academic record prior to the completion of 110 credits.
To drop your minor, send an email to; the email should include your name, your N number, and the name of the minor. Please be advised that after dropping a minor from your record, the minor notation will continue to appear on your official transcript during the semesters in which you were enrolled in the minor.
For questions or concerns regarding cross school minors, please contact the Gallatin Office of Student Services.