Skip to Gallatin Navigation Skip to Gallatin Main Content

Earning Your Undergraduate Degree

Earning Your Undergraduate Degree

Students graduate only after they have fulfilled all of their undergraduate degree requirements. Note that requirements include credit-bearing and non-credit bearing requirements, such as the Colloquium. Please see the detailed list of degree requirements and related policies. Students are encouraged to refer to their degree progress report in Albert in order to track their progress toward degree completion.

Questions regarding degree requirements should be directed to the Senior Class Advisers

Applying to Graduate

All students must apply for graduation. To be considered as a candidate for graduation, you must apply by the deadline. Note that degrees are conferred by the university three times annually: September, January, and May. If you do not apply for graduation, you will not be able to attend the Commencement ceremony. Read here for detailed instructions regarding how and when to apply for graduation in Albert. 

Please note the difference between graduation and commencement. When you apply for graduation, you are letting the Registrar know that you plan to complete your degree in a particular term. In this context, graduation refers to completing and receiving your degree, not to participating in the commencement ceremonies. 

Eligibility to March in Commencement

Invitations to participate in NYU Commencement and the Gallatin Graduation Ceremony are extended to all graduates and degree candidates for the 2018-2019 academic year (September 2018, January 2019, and May 2019). Candidates for May degrees are identified as those who have applied for graduation through Albert by the Registrar's Office deadline.

In some cases, students who will not complete the degree requirements by the May graduation deadline can march at Commencement and in the Gallatin Graduation Ceremony. To determine your eligibility to march ahead of your degree completion, please apply for a Dean's Exception. Petitions will be granted if students meet the following criteria: 

  • Student has no more than two courses (8 units) remaining after the last day of the Spring 2019 semester.
  • Student has registered for the upcoming summer sessions by April 15 in order to complete the remaining units.
  • Student has completed, or has registered to complete, the Colloquium by the Spring semester deadline
  • Student is in good standing with the University.
  • Student has updated the expected date of graduation on Albert to indicate September degree candidacy.
  • Student has met with the Director of Student Affairs to confirm plans for degree completion.

Final Transcript and Diploma

Every Gallatin student completing the undergraduate degree program will earn a BA Individualized Major. Diplomas are generated a few weeks after degree conferral. More information about your diploma is available online, including how to receive it by mail and how to collect it in person. 

To request an official transcript from the NYU Registrar, please read instructions found here.


NYU Commencement

Gallatin Graduation Ceremony